St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery is located in Kiev city centre, opposite St Sophia’s Cathedral, and is named after the patron saint of Kiev.
It was originally built in the 12th century but destroyed by the Soviets in the 1930s as they believed it lacked any historical or cultural value.
In the years after Ukraine gained its independence it was rebuilt and officially reopened in 1999.
The cathedral itself boasts a sky blue exterior and is topped with seven bright golden domes. Other buildings of interest at the monastery include the refectory and a magnificent bell tower entrance.
Tourist attractions and things to do near St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery include:
- St Andrew’s Church (0.3 miles) - Colourful Baroque church
- Khreshchatyk Park (0.4 miles) - City centre park
- St Sophia’s Cathedral (0.4 miles) - One of Kiev’s most impressive landmarks
- Independence Square (0.4 miles) - The focal point of Ukraine’s Orange Revolution
- Andrew’s Descent (0.5 miles) - The city’s most artistic street.
- Museum of One Street (0.5 miles) - Small, award-winning museum
- Golden Gate (0.6 miles) - Ancient fortification
- Khreshchatyk (0.7 miles) - Kiev’s most famous and well-trodden street
- City Garden (0.7 miles) - Park in Kiev city centre with attractions such as Lovers Bridge and the Dynamo Stadium.
- National Opera of Ukraine (0.8 miles) - National theatre offering a wide repertoire.
- Gorodetsky House, Kiev – House with Chimeras (0.8 miles) - Unusual Art Nouveau house
- Ukrainian National Chernobyl Museum (0.8 miles) - Grim museum telling the story of the world’s worst nuclear accident
- Besarabsky Market (0.9 miles) - Colourful indoor market
- Pinchuk Art Centre (1.0 miles) - Contemporary art gallery in the city centre.
- St Volodymyr’s Cathedral (1.0 miles) - Neo-Byzantine cathedral with striking yellow exterior
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery include:
- 100 Rokiv Tomu Vpered (100 Years Ago In The Future) (0.2 miles) - Modern Ukrainian cuisine. Excellent service.
- Spotykach (0.3 miles) - Contemporary Ukrainian cuisine. Unique atmosphere and great service. Located near St Sophia’s Cathedral.
- PR Bar (0.3 miles) - Fantastic cosy bar in Podil. Great cocktails.
- Happy Grill Bar (0.3 miles) - American bar and restaurant in Podil. Offers steaks, burgers etc. Known for its good-looking waitresses. Close to the Funicular and Fairmont Grand.
- Tres Francais (0.3 miles) - Cosy French bistro. Enjoys a great central location, just a short walk from Independence Square.
- Whisky Corner (0.3 miles) - Upmarket whisky-themed restaurant. Offers a huge selection of whiskies. Very professional service. Located between Independence Square and St Sophia’s Cathedral.
- Last Barricade (0.3 miles) - Restaurant themed around modern Ukrainian revolutions. Interesting interior and lively entertainment. The restaurant is hidden and difficult to find. Entrance is an unmarked door in a corridor at the upper end of the entrance to the Globus shopping centre on Independence Square, near the Billa supermarket.
- Za Dvoma Zaytsyamy (Chasing Two Hares) (0.3 miles) - Named after a famous 1960s Soviet film. Transports guest into Kiev at the beginning of the 20th century. Wonderful atmosphere. Live music most evenings.
- Mr Grill Hotdogs and Burgers (0.4 miles) - Modern burger and hotdog restaurant on Kiev’s main street. Amazing interior. Great service. Outdoor seating in the summer months.
- Kanapa (0.4 miles) - Offers traditional Ukrainian cuisine. Situated in a quaint wooden building on Andrew's Descent, one of the most popular streets for tourists in Kiev.
- Solomenskaya Brewery (0.4 miles) - Pub and restaurant on Andrew’s Descent. Offers excellent beer. Close to St Andrew’s Church.
- Kosatka (0.5 miles) - Cafe/bar close to St Sophia’s Cathedral. Attracts a youthful crowd.
- Shato Robert Doms (0.5 miles) - Pub with its own brewery. Enjoys a great location on Khreshchatyk, just across the road from Khreshchatyk Metro Station. Outdoor terrace, open in the summer, is great for watching the world go by.
- Mama Gochi (0.5 miles) - Georgian restaurant close to Independence Square. Summer terrace.
- Korchma Taras Bulba (0.5 miles) - Family-friendly Ukrainian restaurant. Traditional interior. Offers a huge selection of inexpensive varenyky (dumplings). Just a short walk from Khreshchatyk.
- Tolstiy and Tonkiy (0.6 miles) - Upmarket steakhouse. Impeccable service. Near the Golden Gate. Expensive by Kiev standards.
- Osteria Pantagruel (0.7 miles) - Legendary Italian restaurant. Traditional homely interior. Good service. Terrace open in the summer. Located right next to the Golden Gate.
- Chang Bistronomia (0.7 miles) - Contemporary Vietnamese restaurant. Friendly staff. Modern décor. Near St Sophia’s Cathedral.
- Vero Vero (0.7 miles) - Cosy Italian restaurant in the Podil area of the city. Great summer terrace with fountain.
- Oxota NA Ovets (0.7 miles) - Upmarket Asian steakhouse. Situated in the Vozdvyzhenka, an luxury residential area of the city.
- Musafir (0.8 miles) - Crimean restaurant near Lesya Ukrainka Theatre and Teatralna Metro Station. Cosy. Great reputation.
- 11 Mirrors Rooftop Restaurant and Bar (0.8 miles) - Rooftop restaurant at one of the city’s best hotels. Offers great panoramic views of the city. Close to the National Opera of Ukraine.
- Barman Dictat (0.8 miles) - Excellent bar on Khreshchatyk. Beautiful interior with huge sold wood bar. Shelves behind the bar house thousands of different drinks from all over the world. Staff need ladders to reach some of them. Live music most evenings. Smoking room. Difficult to find. Go into the courtyard at 44 Khreshchatyk and head to the building on the left. The bar is behind an unmarked doorway. Go down the stairs after entering.
- Avalon (0.9 miles) - Popular, multi-level entertainment complex. Includes a restaurant, bar, and nightclub. Highly recommended. Attracts a beautiful crowd.
- True Burger Bar (0.9 miles) - Cosy gourmet burger restaurant. Close to the National Opera of Ukraine and St Volodymyr’s Cathedral.
- Puzata Hata - Baseina Street (0.9 miles) - Budget restaurant offering Ukrainian cuisine at bargain prices. Self-service. This branch is located close to Besarabsky Market.
- Loona Restaurant and Karaoke (1 miles) - Upmarket Asian restaurant and karaoke bar at Arena city. Attractive crowd. Parties most evenings.
- Hutorets (1 miles) - Ukrainian restaurant offering cuisine from all regions of the country. Located on a boat on the Dnieper River in the Podil area of the city.
- Gorchitsa Cafe (1 miles) - Upmarket French restaurant in the Government quarter (Lypky). Well-presented food. Beautiful, classical interior.
- O'Panas (1 miles) - Tradtional Ukrainian restaurant in Taras Shevchenko Park. Fantastic wooden interior.
Hotels near St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery include:
- InterContinental Kyiv (0.1 miles)
- Gallery Hotel Gintama (0.1 miles)
- KievInn (0.2 miles)
- Riviera House (0.3 miles)
- Number 21 by DBI (0.3 miles)
- Kozatskiy Hotel (0.3 miles)
- Khreschatyk City Center Hotel (0.3 miles)
- Dnipro Hotel (0.4 miles)
- Bontiak Hotel (0.4 miles)
- Gonchar Hotel (0.4 miles)
- Ukraine Hotel (0.5 miles)
- Sunday Apart Hotel (0.6 miles)
- Best Season Apart Hotel (0.6 miles)
- Summit Apart Hotel (0.6 miles)
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv City Centre (0.6 miles)
- Golden Gate Inn (0.7 miles)
- Podol Plaza Hotel (0.7 miles)
- Mini-Hotel Kievskiy (0.7 miles)
- 11 Mirrors Design Hotel (0.8 miles)
- Royal Grand Hotel (0.9 miles)
- CITYHOTEL (0.9 miles)
- Hotel Kyiv (1 miles)
- Premier Palace Hotel (1 miles)
- Natsionalny Hotel (1 miles)
Nearby Metro Stations
Metro Stations near St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery include:
- Poshtova Ploshcha Metro Station (0.2 miles) - Station in Podil next to the Funicular Railway
- Maidan Nezalezhnosti Metro Station (0.4 miles) - Underground station at Independence Square
- Khreshchatyk Metro Station (0.6 miles) - City centre station on Kiev's main street.
- Zoloti Vorota Metro Station (0.6 miles) - Next to the Golden Gates
- Kontraktova Ploshcha Metro Station (0.7 miles) - Underground station in the Podil district
- Teatralna Metro Station (0.7 miles) - Station on Bohdana Khmelnytskoho Street
- Lvivska Brama Metro Station (0.9 miles) - Metro station on the Green Line
Map showing location of St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery
St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery