With its 13 golden domes, St Sophia’s Cathedral is one of Kiev’s most impressive landmarks. Construction began in 1037, although much of the Baroque exterior dates from the 18th century.
Named after the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople, the cathedral is famous for its ancient mosaics and frescoes. It also houses the tombs of several Kievan princes, including its founder Yaroslav the Wise.
The cathedral and the associated buildings were declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1990.
Tourist attractions and things to do near St Sophia’s Cathedral include:
- Golden Gate (0.3 miles) - Ancient fortification
- St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery (0.4 miles) - Features a sky blue cathedral and magnificent bell tower
- National Opera of Ukraine (0.4 miles) - National theatre offering a wide repertoire.
- St Andrew’s Church (0.4 miles) - Colourful Baroque church
- Andrew’s Descent (0.5 miles) - The city’s most artistic street.
- Independence Square (0.5 miles) - The focal point of Ukraine’s Orange Revolution
- Museum of One Street (0.6 miles) - Small, award-winning museum
- Khreshchatyk (0.6 miles) - Kiev’s most famous and well-trodden street
- St Volodymyr’s Cathedral (0.6 miles) - Neo-Byzantine cathedral with striking yellow exterior
- Khreshchatyk Park (0.7 miles) - City centre park
- Besarabsky Market (0.8 miles) - Colourful indoor market
- Kiev University – Fomin Botanical Gardens (0.8 miles) - Botanical gardens owned by Kiev University
- Pinchuk Art Centre (0.8 miles) - Contemporary art gallery in the city centre.
- Gorodetsky House, Kiev – House with Chimeras (0.8 miles) - Unusual Art Nouveau house
- Ukrainian National Chernobyl Museum (1.0 miles) - Grim museum telling the story of the world’s worst nuclear accident
- City Garden (1.0 miles) - Park in Kiev city centre with attractions such as Lovers Bridge and the Dynamo Stadium.
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near St Sophia’s Cathedral include:
- Spotykach (0.2 miles) - Contemporary Ukrainian cuisine. Unique atmosphere and great service. Located near St Sophia’s Cathedral.
- Whisky Corner (0.2 miles) - Upmarket whisky-themed restaurant. Offers a huge selection of whiskies. Very professional service. Located between Independence Square and St Sophia’s Cathedral.
- Kosatka (0.2 miles) - Cafe/bar close to St Sophia’s Cathedral. Attracts a youthful crowd.
- Chang Bistronomia (0.3 miles) - Contemporary Vietnamese restaurant. Friendly staff. Modern décor. Near St Sophia’s Cathedral.
- 100 Rokiv Tomu Vpered (100 Years Ago In The Future) (0.3 miles) - Modern Ukrainian cuisine. Excellent service.
- Osteria Pantagruel (0.3 miles) - Legendary Italian restaurant. Traditional homely interior. Good service. Terrace open in the summer. Located right next to the Golden Gate.
- Tolstiy and Tonkiy (0.4 miles) - Upmarket steakhouse. Impeccable service. Near the Golden Gate. Expensive by Kiev standards.
- Last Barricade (0.4 miles) - Restaurant themed around modern Ukrainian revolutions. Interesting interior and lively entertainment. The restaurant is hidden and difficult to find. Entrance is an unmarked door in a corridor at the upper end of the entrance to the Globus shopping centre on Independence Square, near the Billa supermarket.
- Korchma Taras Bulba (0.4 miles) - Family-friendly Ukrainian restaurant. Traditional interior. Offers a huge selection of inexpensive varenyky (dumplings). Just a short walk from Khreshchatyk.
- Tres Francais (0.4 miles) - Cosy French bistro. Enjoys a great central location, just a short walk from Independence Square.
- Za Dvoma Zaytsyamy (Chasing Two Hares) (0.5 miles) - Named after a famous 1960s Soviet film. Transports guest into Kiev at the beginning of the 20th century. Wonderful atmosphere. Live music most evenings.
- Solomenskaya Brewery (0.5 miles) - Pub and restaurant on Andrew’s Descent. Offers excellent beer. Close to St Andrew’s Church.
- 11 Mirrors Rooftop Restaurant and Bar (0.5 miles) - Rooftop restaurant at one of the city’s best hotels. Offers great panoramic views of the city. Close to the National Opera of Ukraine.
- Shato Robert Doms (0.5 miles) - Pub with its own brewery. Enjoys a great location on Khreshchatyk, just across the road from Khreshchatyk Metro Station. Outdoor terrace, open in the summer, is great for watching the world go by.
- Kanapa (0.5 miles) - Offers traditional Ukrainian cuisine. Situated in a quaint wooden building on Andrew's Descent, one of the most popular streets for tourists in Kiev.
- True Burger Bar (0.5 miles) - Cosy gourmet burger restaurant. Close to the National Opera of Ukraine and St Volodymyr’s Cathedral.
- Avalon (0.5 miles) - Popular, multi-level entertainment complex. Includes a restaurant, bar, and nightclub. Highly recommended. Attracts a beautiful crowd.
- Mr Grill Hotdogs and Burgers (0.5 miles) - Modern burger and hotdog restaurant on Kiev’s main street. Amazing interior. Great service. Outdoor seating in the summer months.
- Mama Gochi (0.6 miles) - Georgian restaurant close to Independence Square. Summer terrace.
- Oxota NA Ovets (0.6 miles) - Upmarket Asian steakhouse. Situated in the Vozdvyzhenka, an luxury residential area of the city.
- Musafir (0.6 miles) - Crimean restaurant near Lesya Ukrainka Theatre and Teatralna Metro Station. Cosy. Great reputation.
- PR Bar (0.6 miles) - Fantastic cosy bar in Podil. Great cocktails.
- Happy Grill Bar (0.6 miles) - American bar and restaurant in Podil. Offers steaks, burgers etc. Known for its good-looking waitresses. Close to the Funicular and Fairmont Grand.
- Barman Dictat (0.7 miles) - Excellent bar on Khreshchatyk. Beautiful interior with huge sold wood bar. Shelves behind the bar house thousands of different drinks from all over the world. Staff need ladders to reach some of them. Live music most evenings. Smoking room. Difficult to find. Go into the courtyard at 44 Khreshchatyk and head to the building on the left. The bar is behind an unmarked doorway. Go down the stairs after entering.
- O'Panas (0.7 miles) - Tradtional Ukrainian restaurant in Taras Shevchenko Park. Fantastic wooden interior.
- Restaurant Chachapuri (0.7 miles) - Cosy Georgian restaurant. Close to the Hilton Kyiv and St Volodymyr's Cathedral. Universytet Metro Station is just across the road.
- Piccolino (0.8 miles) - Italian restaurant offering a good variety of dishes and wines. Ambient interior with brick walls and wooden ceiling. Quite close to the National Circus of Ukraine.
- Puzata Hata - Baseina Street (0.8 miles) - Budget restaurant offering Ukrainian cuisine at bargain prices. Self-service. This branch is located close to Besarabsky Market.
- Loona Restaurant and Karaoke (0.8 miles) - Upmarket Asian restaurant and karaoke bar at Arena city. Attractive crowd. Parties most evenings.
- The Burger (0.9 miles) - Offers a good selection of gourmet burgers. Impeccable service. Very reasonably priced given its location at Arena City.
- Khinkalnya Gogi (0.9 miles) - Offers reasonably priced Georgian cuisine. Friendly service. Situated near Taras Shevchenko Park and the Fomin Botanical Gardens.
- Paravoz Speak Easy (0.9 miles) - Intimate cocktail bar. Located in the basement of the Kiev Cinema, close to Ploshcha Lva Tolstoho Metro Station.
- Under Wonder (0.9 miles) - Intimate restaurant in the city centre. Great service and beautiful interior. Open 24 hours.
- Pervak (0.9 miles) - Offers traditional Ukrainian cuisine. Interesting interior. Located in the centre, close to Arena City.
- Khinkali (1 miles) - Authentic Georgian cuisine. Traditional interior and reasonable prices. Near Arena City and the Gulliver shopping mall.
- Vero Vero (1 miles) - Cosy Italian restaurant in the Podil area of the city. Great summer terrace with fountain.
- Alchemist Bar (1 miles) - Lively city centre basement bar. Live music and DJs.
- Bontiak Hotel (0.2 miles)
- Sunday Apart Hotel (0.2 miles)
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv City Centre (0.2 miles)
- InterContinental Kyiv (0.3 miles)
- Gonchar Hotel (0.3 miles)
- Best Season Apart Hotel (0.3 miles)
- KievInn (0.3 miles)
- Golden Gate Inn (0.3 miles)
- Kozatskiy Hotel (0.4 miles)
- Gallery Hotel Gintama (0.4 miles)
- Mini-Hotel Kievskiy (0.5 miles)
- Summit Apart Hotel (0.5 miles)
- 11 Mirrors Design Hotel (0.5 miles)
- Khreschatyk City Center Hotel (0.5 miles)
- Royal Grand Hotel (0.5 miles)
- CITYHOTEL (0.5 miles)
- Dnipro Hotel (0.6 miles)
- Number 21 by DBI (0.6 miles)
- Riviera House (0.6 miles)
- Ukraine Hotel (0.6 miles)
- City Park Hotel (0.6 miles)
- Opera Hotel (0.7 miles)
- Premier Palace Hotel (0.8 miles)
- Hotel Express Congress (0.8 miles)
- StanGret Hotel (0.8 miles)
- Podol Plaza Hotel (0.8 miles)
- Royal De Paris Hotel (0.9 miles)
- ibis Kiev City Center (0.9 miles)
- Fire Inn (0.9 miles)
Nearby Metro Stations
Metro Stations near St Sophia’s Cathedral include:
- Zoloti Vorota Metro Station (0.3 miles) - Next to the Golden Gates
- Maidan Nezalezhnosti Metro Station (0.5 miles) - Underground station at Independence Square
- Lvivska Brama Metro Station (0.5 miles) - Metro station on the Green Line
- Teatralna Metro Station (0.5 miles) - Station on Bohdana Khmelnytskoho Street
- Khreshchatyk Metro Station (0.5 miles) - City centre station on Kiev's main street.
- Poshtova Ploshcha Metro Station (0.6 miles) - Station in Podil next to the Funicular Railway
- Universytet Metro Station (0.7 miles) - Metro station on the Red Line.
- Kontraktova Ploshcha Metro Station (0.8 miles) - Underground station in the Podil district
- Ploshcha Lva Tolstoho Metro Station (0.9 miles) - Underground station in the city centre named after Leo Tolstoy
Map showing location of St Sophia’s Cathedral.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
St Sophia’s Cathedral