This city centre cathedral is the mother cathedral of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church – Kiev Patriarchate.
The design of is neo-Byzantine with seven cupolas, colourful interior, and striking yellow exterior. It was fully completed and christened in 1896.
St Volodymyr’s Cathedral is one of the best places to experience an Orthodox service. They are held daily at 8 am and 5 pm (7 am, 10 am, 5 pm on weekends).
Tourist attractions and things to do near St Volodymyr’s Cathedral include:
- National Opera of Ukraine (0.2 miles) - National theatre offering a wide repertoire.
- Kiev University – Fomin Botanical Gardens (0.2 miles) - Botanical gardens owned by Kiev University
- Golden Gate (0.3 miles) - Ancient fortification
- Khreshchatyk (0.6 miles) - Kiev’s most famous and well-trodden street
- Besarabsky Market (0.6 miles) - Colourful indoor market
- Pinchuk Art Centre (0.6 miles) - Contemporary art gallery in the city centre.
- St Sophia’s Cathedral (0.6 miles) - One of Kiev’s most impressive landmarks
- Palace of Sports (0.8 miles) - Major music, exhibition, and sports venue
- Gulliver Bowling (0.8 miles) - Tenpin bowling centre at the Gulliver shopping mall.
- Independence Square (0.8 miles) - The focal point of Ukraine’s Orange Revolution
- Gorodetsky House, Kiev – House with Chimeras (0.9 miles) - Unusual Art Nouveau house
- Olympic Stadium (1.0 miles) - The biggest stadium in Ukraine. Hosts football matches of the Ukrainian national team and Dynamo Kiev, plus concerts, and other events.
- St Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery (1.0 miles) - Features a sky blue cathedral and magnificent bell tower
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near St Volodymyr’s Cathedral include:
- Avalon (0.1 miles) - Popular, multi-level entertainment complex. Includes a restaurant, bar, and nightclub. Highly recommended. Attracts a beautiful crowd.
- 11 Mirrors Rooftop Restaurant and Bar (0.2 miles) - Rooftop restaurant at one of the city’s best hotels. Offers great panoramic views of the city. Close to the National Opera of Ukraine.
- True Burger Bar (0.2 miles) - Cosy gourmet burger restaurant. Close to the National Opera of Ukraine and St Volodymyr’s Cathedral.
- O'Panas (0.3 miles) - Tradtional Ukrainian restaurant in Taras Shevchenko Park. Fantastic wooden interior.
- Restaurant Chachapuri (0.3 miles) - Cosy Georgian restaurant. Close to the Hilton Kyiv and St Volodymyr's Cathedral. Universytet Metro Station is just across the road.
- Osteria Pantagruel (0.3 miles) - Legendary Italian restaurant. Traditional homely interior. Good service. Terrace open in the summer. Located right next to the Golden Gate.
- Khinkalnya Gogi (0.3 miles) - Offers reasonably priced Georgian cuisine. Friendly service. Situated near Taras Shevchenko Park and the Fomin Botanical Gardens.
- Tolstiy and Tonkiy (0.4 miles) - Upmarket steakhouse. Impeccable service. Near the Golden Gate. Expensive by Kiev standards.
- Musafir (0.5 miles) - Crimean restaurant near Lesya Ukrainka Theatre and Teatralna Metro Station. Cosy. Great reputation.
- Barman Dictat (0.5 miles) - Excellent bar on Khreshchatyk. Beautiful interior with huge sold wood bar. Shelves behind the bar house thousands of different drinks from all over the world. Staff need ladders to reach some of them. Live music most evenings. Smoking room. Difficult to find. Go into the courtyard at 44 Khreshchatyk and head to the building on the left. The bar is behind an unmarked doorway. Go down the stairs after entering.
- Korchma Taras Bulba (0.5 miles) - Family-friendly Ukrainian restaurant. Traditional interior. Offers a huge selection of inexpensive varenyky (dumplings). Just a short walk from Khreshchatyk.
- Under Wonder (0.5 miles) - Intimate restaurant in the city centre. Great service and beautiful interior. Open 24 hours.
- Paravoz Speak Easy (0.5 miles) - Intimate cocktail bar. Located in the basement of the Kiev Cinema, close to Ploshcha Lva Tolstoho Metro Station.
- Piccolino (0.5 miles) - Italian restaurant offering a good variety of dishes and wines. Ambient interior with brick walls and wooden ceiling. Quite close to the National Circus of Ukraine.
- Chang Bistronomia (0.5 miles) - Contemporary Vietnamese restaurant. Friendly staff. Modern décor. Near St Sophia’s Cathedral.
- Loona Restaurant and Karaoke (0.6 miles) - Upmarket Asian restaurant and karaoke bar at Arena city. Attractive crowd. Parties most evenings.
- Lyubimy Dyadya (0.6 miles) - Offers an eclectic menu of contemporary, international dishes. Fantastic interior and good atmosphere. The name means ‘Favourite Uncle’.
- Zhizn Zamechatelnykh Lyudeyn (Life of Wonderful People) (0.6 miles) - Bar/restaurant with amazing interior. Check out the height of the ceiling. Staff use a ladder to reach the highest bottles on the shelf. Highly recommended.
- Pervak (0.6 miles) - Offers traditional Ukrainian cuisine. Interesting interior. Located in the centre, close to Arena City.
- Goodman (0.6 miles) - Upmarket steakhouse located on the ground floor of the Eurasia Business Centre. Fairly expensive. Close to Kiev Train Station.
- The Burger (0.6 miles) - Offers a good selection of gourmet burgers. Impeccable service. Very reasonably priced given its location at Arena City.
- Musafir (0.6 miles) - Crimean restaurant relocated to Kiev after the Russian takeover in 2014. Traditional interior. Menu offers traditional Crimean Tatar cuisine.
- Mama Manana (0.6 miles) - Traditional Georgian restaurant in the city centre. It is extremely popular so booking is essential.
- Puzata Hata - Baseina Street (0.6 miles) - Budget restaurant offering Ukrainian cuisine at bargain prices. Self-service. This branch is located close to Besarabsky Market.
- Shato Robert Doms (0.6 miles) - Pub with its own brewery. Enjoys a great location on Khreshchatyk, just across the road from Khreshchatyk Metro Station. Outdoor terrace, open in the summer, is great for watching the world go by.
- Alchemist Bar (0.6 miles) - Lively city centre basement bar. Live music and DJs.
- Beef (0.7 miles) - Upmarket steakhouse in the city centre. Quite expensive but offers a reasonably priced business lunch. Situated near the Gulliver shopping mall. Closest Metro is Palats Sportu.
- Khinkali (0.7 miles) - Authentic Georgian cuisine. Traditional interior and reasonable prices. Near Arena City and the Gulliver shopping mall.
- Whisky Corner (0.7 miles) - Upmarket whisky-themed restaurant. Offers a huge selection of whiskies. Very professional service. Located between Independence Square and St Sophia’s Cathedral.
- Italian Edition (0.7 miles) - Beautiful Italian restaurant with amazing high ceilings and wood panel walls. Great staff.
- Kosatka (0.7 miles) - Cafe/bar close to St Sophia’s Cathedral. Attracts a youthful crowd.
- Last Barricade (0.7 miles) - Restaurant themed around modern Ukrainian revolutions. Interesting interior and lively entertainment. The restaurant is hidden and difficult to find. Entrance is an unmarked door in a corridor at the upper end of the entrance to the Globus shopping centre on Independence Square, near the Billa supermarket.
- Mama Gochi (0.8 miles) - Georgian restaurant close to Independence Square. Summer terrace.
- Spotykach (0.8 miles) - Contemporary Ukrainian cuisine. Unique atmosphere and great service. Located near St Sophia’s Cathedral.
- Tres Francais (0.8 miles) - Cosy French bistro. Enjoys a great central location, just a short walk from Independence Square.
- Imbir (0.8 miles) - Indian vegetarian restaurant. Comfortable interior with plenty of books to read. Situated close to the Olympic Stadium.
- Mr Grill Hotdogs and Burgers (0.9 miles) - Modern burger and hotdog restaurant on Kiev’s main street. Amazing interior. Great service. Outdoor seating in the summer months.
- 100 Rokiv Tomu Vpered (100 Years Ago In The Future) (0.9 miles) - Modern Ukrainian cuisine. Excellent service.
- Barvy (1 miles) - Contemporary Ukrainian restaurant with modern interior. Great cocktails. Close to Gulliver shopping mall.
- Royal Grand Hotel (0.1 miles)
- 11 Mirrors Design Hotel (0.2 miles)
- CITYHOTEL (0.2 miles)
- Mini-Hotel Kievskiy (0.3 miles)
- Fire Inn (0.3 miles)
- Hotel Express Congress (0.3 miles)
- Best Season Apart Hotel (0.4 miles)
- Premier Palace Hotel (0.4 miles)
- Sunday Apart Hotel (0.4 miles)
- Opera Hotel (0.5 miles)
- ibis Kiev City Center (0.5 miles)
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv City Centre (0.5 miles)
- Summit Apart Hotel (0.5 miles)
- Hotel Classic (0.6 miles)
- Suit Hotel (0.6 miles)
- StanGret Hotel (0.6 miles)
- Royal De Paris Hotel (0.6 miles)
- Bontiak Hotel (0.6 miles)
- irisHotels (0.6 miles)
- Tiso Hotel (0.6 miles)
- Idea Design Apart-Hotel (0.6 miles)
- Golden Gate Inn (0.6 miles)
- Mini hotel Non-Stop (0.6 miles)
- Diplomat ApartHotel (0.7 miles)
- Heart Kiev Apart-Hotel (0.7 miles)
- Premier Hotel Lybid (0.7 miles)
- City Park Hotel (0.7 miles)
- Kozatskiy Hotel (0.8 miles)
- KievInn (0.8 miles)
- Aloft Kiev (0.8 miles)
- Khreschatyk City Center Hotel (0.8 miles)
- Ukraine Hotel (0.8 miles)
- Royal City Hotel (0.9 miles)
- InterContinental Kyiv (0.9 miles)
- Gonchar Hotel (0.9 miles)
- Premier Hotel Rus (0.9 miles)
- Gallery Hotel Gintama (0.9 miles)
- Dnipro Hotel (1 miles)
- Park Inn by Radisson Kyiv Troyitska (1 miles)
- Royal Olympic Hotel (1 miles)
- President Hotel (1 miles)
Nearby Metro Stations
Metro Stations near St Volodymyr’s Cathedral include:
- Universytet Metro Station (0.1 miles) - Metro station on the Red Line.
- Zoloti Vorota Metro Station (0.3 miles) - Next to the Golden Gates
- Teatralna Metro Station (0.4 miles) - Station on Bohdana Khmelnytskoho Street
- Ploshcha Lva Tolstoho Metro Station (0.5 miles) - Underground station in the city centre named after Leo Tolstoy
- Khreshchatyk Metro Station (0.6 miles) - City centre station on Kiev's main street.
- Lvivska Brama Metro Station (0.7 miles) - Metro station on the Green Line
- Palats Sportu Metro Station (0.7 miles) - Underground station next to the Palace of Sports
- Maidan Nezalezhnosti Metro Station (0.8 miles) - Underground station at Independence Square
- Olimpiiska Metro Station (0.9 miles) - Underground station near the Olympic Stadium
- Vokzalna Metro Station (0.9 miles) - Next to the main train station
Map showing location of St Volodymyr’s Cathedral.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
St Volodymyr’s Cathedral